Fire Prevention Tips

 
According to the Home Safety Council’s State of Home Safety in America™ Report, fires and burns are the third leading cause of unintentional home injury and related deaths. Fire safety and survival begin with everyone in your household being prepared. Follow these safety measures from the Home Safety Council to reduce the chance of fire in your home:

 

Prevent Fires Caused by Cooking:

  • Always stay in the kitchen while cooking.
  • Keep things that can burn, such as dishtowels, paper or plastic bags, and curtains at least three feet away from the range top.
  • Before cooking, roll up sleeves and use oven mitts. Loose-fitting clothes can touch a hot burner and catch on fire.
  • Never leave barbecue grills unattended while in use. Keep grills at least three feet away from other objects, including the house and any shrubs or bushes.
  • Don’t plug in too many appliances at once.

 

Prevent Fires Caused by Heating:

  • Store matches and lighters in a locked cabinet.
  • Keep space heaters at least three feet away from things that can burn, such as curtains or stacks of newspaper. Always turn off heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Have a service person inspect chimneys, fireplaces, wood and coal stoves and central furnaces once a year. Have them cleaned when necessary.
  • Keep things that can burn away from your fireplace and keep a glass or metal screen in front of your fireplace.

 

Prevent Fires Caused by Smoking:

  • Use “fire-safe” cigarettes and smoke outside.
  • Use large, deep ashtrays on sturdy surfaces like a table.
  • Douse cigarette and cigar butts with water before dumping them in the trash.

 

Prevent Fires Caused by Candles:

  • Never leave burning candles unattended. Do not allow children to keep candles or incense in their rooms. Always use stable, candle holders made of material that won’t catch fire, such as metal, glass, etc.
  • Blow out candles when adults leave the room.

 

Prevent Fires Caused by Gasoline and Other Products:

  • Store gasoline in a garage or shed in a container approved for gasoline storage. Never bring or use gasoline indoors; and use it as a motor fuel only.
  • Close the lid on all dangerous products and put them away after using them.
  • Store them away from the home and in a safe place with a lock.

 

Quick Links

Local Weather

HOME | ABOUT | EVENTS CALENDAR | MEMBER ROSTER

 

CURRENT LOTTERY RESULTS | LOTTERY RULES | LOTTERY FAQ

 

Facebook Image LinkYouTube Channel Link

 

1219 West Riverside Drive
Perth-Andover, N.B.
E7H 2G7
Canada

Fax: (506) 273-4905

E-mail: pafd@nb.aibn.com

Copyright © 2017 Perth-Andover Fire Department.
All Rights Reserved.

 

TAPESA Media Logo

New